Application Process for Obtaining Substitute Certificate to Teach:
1) Contact Missouri Automated Criminal Website (www.machs.mo.gov) to register to start the fingerprint process. When this is completed, you will call to schedule an appointment at a Cogent fingerprint services site located in Springfield, MO. Cogent has three locations in Springfield -- 334 East Kearney, 1325 W Sunshine and 1111 North Boonville Ste 1 and Gainesville Schools.
For the Ava Schools registration number, call B.J. Sterling at (417) 683-5747.
Individuals without access to the Internet may contact the fingerprint processing company, 3M/Cogent, directly at 1-877- 862-2425 to have a Fingerprint Services Representative conduct this registration on their behalf.
The results of the fingerprinting will be forwarded to the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education, Certification Division. The fee for the fingerprinting process for both Missouri residents and Non-Missouri residents is $40.30. The payment may be made online at the time of registration or at the fingerprinting appointment.
Fingerprint results for educators and substitute teachers will be recorded automatically on individual profile pages in the online Educator Certification System. Results for non-certified staff members and bus drivers will be forwarded to the appropriate school district based upon the registration code provided. Results of fingerprints are generally reported to the office of Educator Certification within 2-3 weeks from the date of appointment.
2) Go to dese.mo.gov website; create a User ID and Log In Password, then log on to the system. Go to “web applications” and click “Register” then follow the directions.
3) An original transcript of your college hours must be sent to the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education for verification. This transcript will be kept on file at DESE.
4) The Ava R-I Schools information sheet needs to be completed and turned in to the Ava R-I Administration Office.
5) Check the DESE website to see that your application to substitute has been approved. You may present this certificate at any school in Missouri.
To substitute teach in the Ava R-1 School District, please complete the following steps:
1. Mail or bring a copy of your current Missouri Substitute Educator certificate, a clear fingerprinted background check, and college transcripts or teaching certificate to the Superintendent's Secretary.
2. Visit each building you would like to substitute teach in to meet the building principals and secretaries.
Mail application materials to:
Ava Public Schools
Attn: BJ Sterling, Superintendent's Secretary
P.O. BOX 338
Ava, MO 65608